* Wed C&C "No Theme" Thread #663 on 2021 01 06 *

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
RoelHendrickx
OP RoelHendrickx Forum Pro • Posts: 27,373
CONTRIBUTION HERE : Ad Hoc @ Castle Air Base & Museum

Leica Eye wrote:

L

Hello, Leica Eye, and welcome to this weekly thread.

You will notice that we are a hospitable bunch, so I do hope that you will return regularly.

Let me start my comments with a small service announcement about the place that your images take in the thread.

You have posted your post with images as a reply to Mike's post with his image of St Helens.  This creates some confusion in the order of the thread.

Normally we try to post ONLY comments on images in direct replies to those images (or to earlier comments on the same images).

We encourage to post a new submission in a reply to the very first post of the thread (or use "Reply to Thread" (third option) as opposed to simple "Reply"). This give each image or set of images its own neat little subthread (if you watch the forum in threaded view, which is always recommended).

Having said that, I do hope our other contributors find your images and comment on them, just as you are warmly invited to comment on other contributions.

Let me turn to your images.

The last of your images gives us a hint that these may all be shot from the driver seat of a car, on a drive by through the grounds of this Museum Air Base.  It's a specific vantage point that the viewer can easily identify with.

Your first image is the most "logical" for wanting to show us an Air Base Museum : we see an impressive bomber with a perspex nose turret (or maybe that is the spot from where the guy in charge of the bombs checks when the plane is above target).  The rows of little bomb icons on the side of the plane, tell us that this plane has made quite a few bombing runs. like notches carved in a pistol grip.  It seems quaint but is actually a record of doom delivered below.

The second and third images show us the state of the actual base.  It is in dire need of a fresh coat of paint and feels abandoned and cold, triggering an association with "days gone by".

As a trio, the images seem to want to remind us that the cold war, which is just a phrase in the history books for present young generations, was once a clearly felt presence, but that everything has a "best before" date.

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx
lots of images: http://www.roelh.zenfolio.com

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow