Is image stabilization in Sony A6500 worth it over A6400 or A6300?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
jb12 Regular Member • Posts: 229
Re: Is image stabilization in Sony A6500 worth it over A6400 or A6300?

idsurfer wrote:

m4a wrote:

The question is, is the AF that bad on A6500? Improvements are great and animal eye tracking looks sick, but as far as I found, eye tracking works on A6500 as well, although not as good, but still works.

I had a 6500 for a few years then switched to 6400. Until recently I have used only Non-OSS primes. The AF on the 6500 is fantastic....and I shoot a lot of action. It will keep up with fast moving subjects and nail the shot.....no prob there.

The major difference between the 6400 and 6500 is that the 6400 has real time tracking witch allows you to put the AF on your subject and then recompose the shot. This is HUGE in my opinion and nearly makes up for not having a joystick. With the 6500 I found myself fiddling with AF selection point so much that it was quite frustrating at times and certainly missed some shot because of this.

For street photography I think the real time tracking will be VERY beneficial for quick shooting. For street I'd take the 6400 all day long over the 6500. Trust me on this one. I actually found the 6500 to be not that fun to shoot with. The real time tracking was a game changer and kept me from trying out other systems.

I should point out that the RT tracking isn't great because of it's ability to track a moving subject but rather for the "stick the AF point on the subject and recompose the shot". Two very different uses.

If its not for moving objects, you can just use bbf in afc and recompose, that is what I do and it is just as fast.

Re eye AF....I'm sure I'm in the minority but in all honestly I've never been all that impressed with the feature...on either of the cameras. Do not buy the 6400 for better eye AF.

Lastly, the IBIS on the 6500 is OK but not mind blowing at all. I would never buy the 6500 just for that feature.

in my testing it is about 3 stops which makes quite a difference. also it helps if for example you take a photo from a moving object i.e. I was in a small boat that was on hold but still slightly moves.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
m4a
m4a
m4a
m4a
m4a
m4a
m4a
m4a
m4a
m4a
m4a
m4a
m4a
m4a
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow