Nikon Z7 image sensor is Sony IMX309BQJ

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
OP abera Regular Member • Posts: 103
Re: Sony sensor + Nikon handling and colour science - perfection!

Nikon uses Fuji manufactured color filter arrays I think - I think most camera manufacturers do. But color in also influenced by processing and for anyone who shoots in raw the Nikon JPG engines colors are quite irrelevant.

FujLiver wrote:

abera wrote:

Every now and then there is some discussion about who designs Nikon's sensors - I found some hard evidence on some cameras, including Z7.

TechInsights does microchip analysis as it's bussiness - a simple queryis rather helpful.

Z7 uses Sony IMX309BQJ

D500 uses Sony IMX321

The sports camera D5 uses (evidently Nikon designed) Toshiba T4K54

Sorry is posted before.

BTW many Toshiba and Fujifilm sensors are in fact based on Sony fabs. Sony allows custom sensor design by clients as long as the orders are large

The sensors are designed by Sony, and fabricated by Sony. Some cameras use off the shelf parts, like Z6 almost certainly uses the IMX410, others designed for order (like the sensor in the Sony A9) - latter is much more expensive of course. Anyone can make such an order as long as you write large enough cheque

edit: Sony was contractually obligated to fullfill some Toshiba contracts and manufacture some non-Sony designed sensors, even though normally Sony only fabricated it's own designs.

The only company I know where these discussions have failed is with Leica. Leica needs custom angled micro-lenses at the edge of the sensor to work better with M lenses.

All mirrorless cameras have off-axis microlenses. It just was news decades ago when they were introduced and it's not been new for a looooong time.

Leica couldn't buy the quantities required so uses other manufacturers,

The microlenses are just layed on top of the sensor - they are not an integral part of the chip. Making off-axis microlenses in not any more difficult than the old style ones - they're just aligned differently based on the pixel position on the chip.

Of course Leica could buy from Sony - it's not about quantity of chips, but about money. They could use for example the above mentioned IMX 410, but with custom microlens array if needed.

The real difference is not the microlens array, but the thickness of the optical stack (AA-filter, protective glass, IR-filter) - but again, it's not awfully relevant to the pricing as it's a minor customization.

such as CMOSIS (AMS), Panasonic, etc. Personally I quite like what Leica does with its sensors.,. particularly thinning out the filters

I think Leica just wanted to differentiate itself with CMOSIS early on, and Panasonic is a natural partner nowdays cause of the the L-mount.

Thinning of the filters is a dual edged sword - it allows film era lenses to work better, but there are some potential drawbacks, like weak/non existing AA-filter, weak IR filter (remembert the Leica M8 color disaster), mechanical weakness and even the dust on the sensor will be more visible.

If you're creating a new system with no need for backward compability, then it's hard to see any advantages for a think optical stack.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow