R6 Set Opinion - 70-200

Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
David Franklin Senior Member • Posts: 1,491
Re: R6 Set Opinion - 70-200

I have owned the EF 70-200's - the f/2.8 IS L, both version I and II, and the f/4.0 IS L (sort of version 2), plus the RF 70-200 f/2.8 and the RF 85mm f/2.0. FWIW, this is what I think.

If you want to save money, buy a good used EF 70-200 f/2.8 L II and the new RF 85mm f/2.0, so you can have both of the best options available. I sold my EF version II and bought the RF 70-200 f/2.8 and am tremendously happy with the RF version, because it has the same optical properties, same or better ruggedness and a big reduction in carry size and overall weight in my bag, but some people still prefer the internal focusing of version II and III lenses so much that they don't mind the extra size and weight of the EF's with about the same optical quality as has the RF lens. Of course you do need an EF to RF adapter, so keep that in mind. So a used EF f/2.8 is clearly the best deal for the money. The latest f/4.0 EF 70-200 lens is optically great, but an f/2.8 version is the same or a tiny bit better, with a stop advantage in low light, and is a better value in my opinion. As to the RF f/4.0 version, I'm sure it will be a great lens, but I think a used f/2.8 lens will be better (and cheaper) for most serious shooters, again if you don't mind the extra weight and size, plus who knows when this lens will finally be available.  If you also get the new RF 85 f/2.0 as well, you get a heck of a bargain portrait lens at another f/stop advantage over the f/2.8 zoom lenses, lighter weight and smaller size, with excellent modern optics and coatings and semi-macro thrown in for a big bonus. Altogether a great combination of quality and  capability at a decent price.

Of course, you decide what works best for you.

-- hide signature --

Keep learning; share knowledge; think seriously about outcomes; seek wisdom.

David Franklin's gear list:David Franklin's gear list
Canon EOS R5
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow