Re: What is next for Hasselblad X1D II and XCD lenses

Erik Kaffehr wrote:

Paul wrote:

Erik Kaffehr wrote:

Paul wrote:

left eye wrote:

MThomas13 wrote:

ajm057 wrote:

Lockdown 2020 in the UK put paid to my African Safari plans for 2020 and early 2021. Having been a Nikon shooter since I was 14 (early in the 1970s) and having a vast collection of Nikon gear, I finally put a pin in the balloon called "what is MF all about for me".

I bought an X1D II and over the summer started my journey with lenses -- I now own 8 -- including a 4.5/300HC, which I had to send to Sweden for it to be upgraded so the AF would work on the XCD with the adapter. 2 weeks ago I received the XCD 4/21mm and am keen to be let out of Tier 4 lock-in so I can use it in anger.

I have also watched the release of the 907x and 50C back with keen interest -- these are classified by Hasselblad as V-system models). The one thing the X1DII is missing is a flip up LCD on the rear of the camera -- so it is easier to use a waist or ground level.

Hasselblad just released FIRMWARE UPDATE 1.24.0, which has brought us - more lens support, 2/3 step for exposure bracketing, focus bracketing and image rating. Already since May - firmware updates have enabled video shooting, more customisation, improvements to bracketing and AF, enhance image browsing, selectable crops, enhance tags, and a host of other improvements.

One wonders what is next -- better integration with Phocus2 (1.1.2) and, hopefully, live view in Phocus2 as well perhaps. There must come a point when firmware upgrades reach the physical limits of the X1DII itself and a new model is needed. More power to Hasselblad with their firmware updates -- the "free" benefits of ownership are most rewarding.

As 2021 fast approaches I wonder what is next for this great camera system. I would assume that given the great sales of the X1DII and XCD lenses, Hasselblad is working on a Mark III version -- as noted my hope is for a flip screen and better/faster AF and write speed to improve FPS a little. Moving from SD to CFexpress would add to robustness and ability to write faster. I have heard of other "requests" - vertical battery grip, 100mp sensors, and of course improvements to the AF and fps.

I would like to see lenses out beyond 135mm to 2.8/170 and 2.8/200 and yes these will be expensive and heavy, but they would provide 135 and 150mm 35mm equivalent.

The 4.5/300HC with XH adapter and HTC1.4 - gives 420mm (275mm 35mm equiv.) and f/6.0 max aperture. This with the camera weighs over 3kg so hard to handhold. A f/2.8 200mm would probably come in 25-30% heavier than the 2.8/135 - so ~1.2kg, possibly more if the diameter of the front element has to increase.

Will H make a HTS 1,5 Tilt/Shift adapter for the XCD lens range? It seems logical they would in time.

I am interested to hear what other X1DII or X1D owners are looking for and what you consider could be delivered as firmware updates and what would require a new body.

Are you too looking for a little more focal length beyond 135mm at a wider aperture than is delivered with a TC?

Something more affordable, around $3,500, to match the GFX 50R would be nice.

If it was designed and made in plastic by DJI that might be possible, though you'd still need hefty funds for the lenses (which are more than their GF equivalents). This would also begin a serious bastardisation of HB - which none of us wants, so be careful what you wish for.

If you want a HB at a GFX 50R price, get the 50R.

I guess the latest rumor is a new, smaller GFX with the 100 sensor for 6K, I am excited about fuji pushing forward but I would still prefer and recommend the X1DII

price comparisons between Hasselblad and fuji are tough anyway because the lenses are not really close....

I don't think I could recommend the X1DII. After all the sensor carries the information from the lens.

Just to say, the information I have, both Fujifilm and X1 have great lenses, far exceeding sensors. It could be that 600-800 MP would be needed to make most lenses full justice.

Best regards

Erik

I am not sure I understand? why can't you recommend the X1DII? have you ever used it?

both fuji and X lenses are excellent, I have no clue what their limits are, I have no intention to go to 100mpix now, that might change in the future but I don't really see what 600-800 mix would do for anyone?

No, I am not using the X1DII.

The reason I would not recommend the X1DII is simply this:

I would say bottom left image is most satisfactory.

Both the X1D and the GFX 50S have a lot of aliasing. That comes in part from the way the microlenses are constructed but also because the sensors have low resolution compared to the lens.

The GFX 100 seems to show much less aliasing, so a Fujifilm buyer can upgrade to 100 MP.

Just to say, I also got a lot of aliasing with my Sony A7rII, once I started using it with some better primes and I don't like it at all:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/64712798

Many subjects don't have fine details with high enough contrast to cause moiré, but at least in my photography it is a frequent issue. So more pixels or an antialiasing filter is needed.

Some interesting comments from Jim Kasson in this posting:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/64716870

So, that is the reason I wouldn't recommend the X1D. Sharp lenses that were developed to work well with 100 MP and above but no road map for 100 MP.

I of course realise that many photographers don't care about aliasing issues, although it surprises me a bit. Quite obviously there are other reasons to choose a system than freedom from aliasing. But, I think the lack of 102 MP option for Hasselblad's X-system would and should be a consideration.

Best regards

Erik

I am very aware of Jim's opinion and value his findings and his deep knowledge and most of all how frequently he helps and shares this knowledge....

I also think the DPR studio comparisons are great but I personally think this is the worst way to shop for cameras.....

I shot with the GFX 50 for a little over a year and have been shooting with the X1DII and with the 907 combo for close to a year now, I have never come across aliasing like this in any of my files....

I shoot fabrics, lots of athletics, artificial fabrics, which would be the worst for moire and aliasing, I rarely ever come across it, my last shoot was close to 3000 files in one day, 1 final file had moire which I removed in less then 30 sec.....

shooting with the 100mpix would have created a headache in workflow, file sizes and for the client the 50mpix files are in reality way too big....plenty room to crop from a horizontal to vertical of 3/4 to headshot....

I did shoot a lot of extremely backlit scenes (this late in the year especially)....situations I looked for when I tried the gfx100 and repeatedly ran into PDAF pattern when opening up shadows.....this does not happen with the 50mpix sensor.....

a very high end car shooter I know just switched from phase to the fuji 100....it makes sense for him, he needs the huge files and the fuji is so much easier and faster to work with .....

I honestly recommend testing these cameras in person, online file downloads are great, I would also recommend downloading the gallery raws and processing for color, the studio scenes are IMO not ideal for actually judging how a camera actually performs in real life

-- hide signature --

schefz.com

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
etn
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow