Confused about Craig list

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
T O Shooter Forum Pro • Posts: 11,160
Re: Confused about Craigslist

MHshooter wrote:

Canada's version is "Kajiji" and I've sent payment via paypal (as "payment for goods" not "Payment from a friend") because it provides some protection against potential long-range fraud.

Canada's version of Craigslist is still Craigslist. The Ebay owned site is Kijiji (means village) In Toronto, I use both, and have found and sold Nikon gear on Craigslist that either 1. I wouldn't get a bite on Kijiji on a "for sale" item or 2. Bought specific gear I wanted on Craigslist that wasn't cross posted on Kijiji. As most sellers of Nikon gear do.

I found in Toronto, and this is likely specific to Toronto, that if it's coming out of the downtown core, it's more likely to be on Craigslist.

To Thierry

As has been said, meet in person, always use cash, safe place. I prefer a McDonald's or Tim Horton's, but the more refined people prefer a Starbucks.

I never meet at home, I rarely take it outside of email communication, if someone says "hey call me or text me" I'll say that we are not at that point yet, and until we are email communication will work just fine. If that doesn't work - too bad. A lot of what I've bought and sold has been in the $3000 to $5000 range including complete packages of gear, which I take what I wanted and sell the rest.

You'll have to decide how rough your area is. I consider Toronto safe, but I do make sure no one is following me after I leave a meetup. If you are buying or selling $3000 to $5000 gear, it's a good assumption that you have more of same at home.

You will find most buyers and sellers are like yourself. Someone with photography interest that have a piece of gear they don't use or have GAS for something else. You should typically be able to tell through what's said in the email/s if the person has an understanding of cameras and camera gear.

If you get a reply from someone that wants to buy your "product", well that's not a good sign.

For me it's in person, safe place but not at home, cash only. If buying, I want the box, everything that came in the box, and a copy of the original receipt.

I would not sell anything (camera gear) on Ebay. Too many scams. And I have all positive feedback going back years. Reports are that Ebay always sides with the buyer, and it seems there are lots of crooked buyers, including fellows looking for a "free rental"

-- hide signature --

A Canon G5 and a bit of Nikon gear.
---------------------------
I enjoy my Nikon gear. But as has been pointed out to me "it’s a declining, decaying system based upon ancient technology" Funny that, never noticed.

T O Shooter's gear list:T O Shooter's gear list
Canon PowerShot G5 Nikon D4S Nikon D500 Nikon D850 +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow