What is next for Hasselblad X1D II and XCD lenses

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Paul Regular Member • Posts: 419
Re: What is next for Hasselblad X1D II and XCD lenses

left eye wrote:

MThomas13 wrote:

ajm057 wrote:

Lockdown 2020 in the UK put paid to my African Safari plans for 2020 and early 2021. Having been a Nikon shooter since I was 14 (early in the 1970s) and having a vast collection of Nikon gear, I finally put a pin in the balloon called "what is MF all about for me".

I bought an X1D II and over the summer started my journey with lenses -- I now own 8 -- including a 4.5/300HC, which I had to send to Sweden for it to be upgraded so the AF would work on the XCD with the adapter. 2 weeks ago I received the XCD 4/21mm and am keen to be let out of Tier 4 lock-in so I can use it in anger.

I have also watched the release of the 907x and 50C back with keen interest -- these are classified by Hasselblad as V-system models). The one thing the X1DII is missing is a flip up LCD on the rear of the camera -- so it is easier to use a waist or ground level.

Hasselblad just released FIRMWARE UPDATE 1.24.0, which has brought us - more lens support, 2/3 step for exposure bracketing, focus bracketing and image rating. Already since May - firmware updates have enabled video shooting, more customisation, improvements to bracketing and AF, enhance image browsing, selectable crops, enhance tags, and a host of other improvements.

One wonders what is next -- better integration with Phocus2 (1.1.2) and, hopefully, live view in Phocus2 as well perhaps. There must come a point when firmware upgrades reach the physical limits of the X1DII itself and a new model is needed. More power to Hasselblad with their firmware updates -- the "free" benefits of ownership are most rewarding.

As 2021 fast approaches I wonder what is next for this great camera system. I would assume that given the great sales of the X1DII and XCD lenses, Hasselblad is working on a Mark III version -- as noted my hope is for a flip screen and better/faster AF and write speed to improve FPS a little. Moving from SD to CFexpress would add to robustness and ability to write faster. I have heard of other "requests" - vertical battery grip, 100mp sensors, and of course improvements to the AF and fps.

I would like to see lenses out beyond 135mm to 2.8/170 and 2.8/200 and yes these will be expensive and heavy, but they would provide 135 and 150mm 35mm equivalent.

The 4.5/300HC with XH adapter and HTC1.4 - gives 420mm (275mm 35mm equiv.) and f/6.0 max aperture. This with the camera weighs over 3kg so hard to handhold. A f/2.8 200mm would probably come in 25-30% heavier than the 2.8/135 - so ~1.2kg, possibly more if the diameter of the front element has to increase.

Will H make a HTS 1,5 Tilt/Shift adapter for the XCD lens range? It seems logical they would in time.

I am interested to hear what other X1DII or X1D owners are looking for and what you consider could be delivered as firmware updates and what would require a new body.

Are you too looking for a little more focal length beyond 135mm at a wider aperture than is delivered with a TC?

Something more affordable, around $3,500, to match the GFX 50R would be nice.

If it was designed and made in plastic by DJI that might be possible, though you'd still need hefty funds for the lenses (which are more than their GF equivalents). This would also begin a serious bastardisation of HB - which none of us wants, so be careful what you wish for.

If you want a HB at a GFX 50R price, get the 50R.

I guess the latest rumor is a new, smaller GFX with the 100 sensor for 6K, I am excited about fuji pushing forward but I would still prefer and recommend the X1DII

price comparisons between Hasselblad and fuji are tough anyway because the lenses are not really close....

-- hide signature --

schefz.com

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
etn
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow