Printing Dense Positive Transparencies with a P800...

Started 1 month ago | Photos thread
Edenhurst
OP Edenhurst Forum Member • Posts: 59
Re: Printing Dense Positive Transparencies with a P800...

Well, at first I was attempting to make a physical simulation of old Autochrome prints. You’re probably familiar with them, judging from the level of expertise evident in your comment.

They were transparencies as well and required backlighting to view. At the moment I’m simply printing regular images, not my Autochrome-like images. I’m still working out the color profile for Autochrome, and getting the characteristic grain pattern just right is tricky.

I’m excited about displaying them on the wall in my little art studio. Today, cool running LED’s are cheap and bright enough to work as an excellent backlight, I can run them along the inner walls of a shadow box picture frame and operate the lights for hours from a rechargeable (and removable) battery pack. There’s just nothing quite like viewing a well-lit transparency. Something about them is magical.

You’re certainly right about the glue! My first hiccup came with that step. The alignment of the layers went perfectly, the print is actually sharper now. And, it’s quite flexible. But, there is an issue with streaking. You can clearly see brush strokes from the application of the varnish. And it’s not pretty!

But otherwise, they look stunning. I just need to find a better way of connecting the two sheets. I’m going to try a different compound, the varnish was a good idea but it’s just too thick and there’s not enough working time before it begins to solidify. I need a liquid I can roll over the transparencies, maybe that will help?

Edenhurst's gear list:Edenhurst's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon D4S Nikon AF-S Nikkor 58mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S 105mm F1.4E ED Nikon 28mm F1.4E +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow