50mm „bokeh shoot out“

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
Asla
Asla Contributing Member • Posts: 941
Re: 50mm „bokeh shoot out“

Sharif wrote:

I recently took a picture of the small halogen lights on our christmas tree with the fabulous Canon EF-M 32mm. Just to test the bokeh, I intentionally focussed much closer than the actual lights, to produce nice light orbs. Here is the image

Canon EF-M 32mm

When i saw how nicely the lens rendered the light orbs I decided I want to test my 50-56mm lenses to see the difference in their bokeh quality. I set up the test with some tulips in the foreground on which I focussed and the Christmas tree with the lights in the background. I have to admit it right away, it is not a scientific test and therefore the images are not comparable 1:1. I didn‘t always focus on the same flower in the foreground and I just compared each lens at its widest aperture which differs from f/1.1 in the case of the Kamlan to f/1.8 in case of the EF 50 f/1.8 II

Here are the results:

Sigma 56mm f/1.4

Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II

Kamlan 50mm f/1.1

Canon FD 50mm f/1.4 SSC

I think the test shows how nicely the Sigma renders out of focus highlights. The Kamlan holds up pretty well given its simple construction and low price. The plastic fantastic and the FD 50 would be fine too if you ask me but given thedirect comparison their images are the least appealing.

What do you think? Which lenses do you like for maximum bokeh joy?

Hi!

Quality of bokeh is of course somewhat matter of taste; people tend to like different things. But EF 50/1.8 surely offers less subject separation than Kamlan 1.1 or Sigma 1.4.

A s l a

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow