A walk around a lake

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
OP dan the man p Regular Member • Posts: 284
Re: A walk around a lake

jim mij wrote:

dan the man p wrote:

M Stewart wrote:

Isn't this how aerial reconnaissance started during WWI? (taking photos from a kite lifted camera). Well done. And, whereabouts are the lakes? How did you trigger the camera's shutter?

Yes, I think you're right. I believe they used balloons too. The first use of kite aerial photography that I've heard about was from 1906, a truly impressive panorama of San Francisco after the earthquake. To trigger the shutter, I use third-party firmware called CHDK that is loaded onto the SD card. It has an intervalometer that I set to take a photo every 5 seconds for up to 400 photos total. Then after flying I pick the best ones and edit them in DPP4. The lake is called St. Mary's Lake, in St. Mary's County, Maryland.

I wonder what the range of wifi and the canon ios app is ?. I know I i can sit in the house with the camera outside in the garden but I haven't pushed it further. The advantage being you can see the scene and adjust settings.

Jim

Some people have fancy radio controlled articulating setups with video downlink. To be honest, most of the time I have my hands full enough just flying the kite that I'd rather let it just take the pictures automatically. I also kind of like the surprise of finding out what I got after bringing the kite down.

dan the man p's gear list:dan the man p's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon EOS M50 Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF-M 15-45mm F3.5-6.3 IS STM +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow