Best setup for Mountain Biking Pics?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Chumby
OP Chumby Regular Member • Posts: 460
Re: Best setup for Mountain Biking Pics?

diveguy wrote:

I recently did a similar shoot with mountain bikers in Oregon. The goal was to capture some shots of different levels of bikers in action, for use on a cycling organization's website.

I first tried using no strobes, but under the forest canopy is was just too dark to capture what I wanted. I used Profoto B2 strobes, and several different modifiers including a 2' beauty dish and a 3' octa (because it's what I had available at the time). I can't remember the settings on the strobes but they were probably one stop below full power (or 250ws, since full power on the B2's are 500ws).

The AD200 has 200ws of power, so you'll definitely want to run them at full power. You should probably skip the softboxes to start with and use the flash directly - the soft boxes will likely reduce your power too much. The nice thing about the AD200 is that they are small enough to conceal in the shot, so you may be able to find places to put them that won't show up in your shots.

Get there early, set up, and take lots of test shots, even if it's just a person standing in. Find the best spot on the trail and frame your shot, then add your light(s). Start with one light if you can. Once you get your exposure correct then start shooting the bikers as they come through. You'll have a blast and learn so much by doing it!

Great shots there Chris.  Appreciate the advice.  yes I reckon planning is a major key!

Cheers
Chumby

Chumby's gear list:Chumby's gear list
Olympus Tough TG-4 Olympus E-3 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus E-M1 +21 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow