Sony 20mm F1.8 first experiences (compared to 16-35 GM)

Started 10 months ago | User reviews thread
joger
joger Veteran Member • Posts: 6,504
Re: Sony 20mm F1.8 first experiences (compared to 16-35 GM)

mick232 wrote:

arneh wrote:

Plenty of sharpness for both lenses wide open in the center. But contrast and colors are clearly superior on the 20mm

The difference (low contrast) is so striking that I find it hard to believe. I would not expect (and have never seen) such a bad performance even from a low-end lens, let alone the 16-35 GM.

I once owned a defective Sigma 70-210/2.8 which had some oily residue on an internal element, and the results were similar. Very low contrast in certain lighting conditions, normal contrast in others.

Are you sure your copy is ok? Lens hood attached?

I have tested two copies of the GM 16..35 vs my G 12..24 and in the overlapping zoom range up towards 20 mm focal length the G 12..24 is easily on par with the GM 16..35 at the same aperture and stopped down to f/7.1 it easily outperformed them.

I am surprised about the perceived quality of the GM 16..35 - for me the stopped down performance at the wide en counts - I can see the reason for the OP to favor the G 20 f/1.8 - especially due to that aperture ring on top - which is additionally to the wide open performance the icing on the cream.

-- hide signature --

“The horizon of many people is a circle with zero radius which they call their point of view.” Albert Einstein
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." Douglas Adams

joger's gear list:joger's gear list
Sony a7R IV Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM Sony FE 12-24mm F4 Sony FE 135mm F1.8 GM Sony FE 200-600 F5.6-6.3 +11 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow