Stress test for Z6II AF

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
sebulban Forum Member • Posts: 91
Re: Stress test for Z6II AF

HUN wrote:

I also did some action testing today with my dog. I used Wide area Large with animal eye AF on, H+ and mechanical shutter. He is extremely fast (40-50 km/h) so I needed to consider the EVF lag too.

When the dog was moving towards me almost all images are back focused, because the AF / lens combo could not predict where he will be when the shutter closes. I think the time while the lens focuses is enough for the subject to move out of focus. With the Z 50mm 1.8 I needed to be close to the subject, probably it would work better with a telephoto lens. User error is also possible: i.e. I am not sure I was able to keep the focus area on his head, because everything happens lightning fast + the EVF lag.

No problem with lateral movement, these were consistently in focus:

I’ve noticed the same thing. If you’re shooting on large apertures it can be the shutter delay. (Have no clue how long that is on z6/z6ii)

if the dog is moving 40km/h towards you it will move 1.11 meters every 10th of a second. So your focuspoint from head/eyes might transfer to dog shoulders or similar if the delay is something in the ballpark of 0.05 seconds.

sebulban's gear list:sebulban's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow