How do I prevent a model from looking shorter and fatter than they really are?

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Thurnau Regular Member • Posts: 497
How do I prevent a model from looking shorter and fatter than they really are?

How do I prevent a model from looking shorter and fatter than they really are? I'm getting some weird facial distortion too, spreading out the eyes further apart and bigger jawlines.

I'm using a DX body (or APS-C?), Nikon D500 and a FX (full frame) lens of Nikon 24-70. But I'm also not loving primes: 50mm, 60mm, and 85mm.

The room I have is a bit small (~20 ft deep), so I'm zoomed in at about 50-60mm on the 24-70.

What can I try differently? Should I get further away and start heavy cropping everything manually? I'd normally leave little space above and below the model. It's a clothing website, so the end result has a much different composition than normal shooting.

I notice bad lens distortion at the top of the image when I do grab a wider view and catch the seamless background roll at the top, and "lens correction" in Lr makes it look perfect. If it's not lens distortion, I'm guessing I'm battling perspective distortion? Do you have any hints to get a better retail clothing picture?

I'm shooting at about waist height, but I don't love the angle from 6 ft high nor from close to the floor.

Does DX or FX do better with a flattering human full length portrait image?

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow