Is MPS or Sensor Size More Important in Scanning?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
celestialemissary
celestialemissary Contributing Member • Posts: 777
Re: Is MPS or Sensor Size More Important in Scanning?

Bob Bobson wrote:

Regardless of how you capture it, you're not really doing much other than upscaling the same sensor kinda like I can do instamatically on an OM-D. But they are still the same pixels of your sensor and still your sensor... You cannot instamatically add pixels that never existed, nor can you change the koala-tees of your existing sensor.

In terms of measuring... Medium Format itself is capable of providing stunning photo-realism and sharpness that even when I saw it a couple of years ago, while it was close, the lens from a Sony A7 II could not produce the fine detail that previously existed within the film frame itself.

This is particularly the case for black and white film.

Large format is an even bigger difference again... And don't be anyone here saying you can copy a 4x5 or even an 8x10 with the same amount of detail on a small format DSLR because that's BS.

But the obsession with digital is a rabbit hole down which, within it, newbies lose the whole point of photography regardless and it's about the photo not how much you're capturing. We are now endlessly confronted with the photo Kabuki of, GAS, razor thin DOF, more gastric and epigastric gas, belching, and making weird verbal noises, to no end, in modern photography other than to marvel at how LITTLE of the world one can render with the technology we now have today that can do so much more and how much on this forum statistical BS means more than the art itself.

And the money you will spend on good fullframe setup...

btw. I saw few photos scanned with new plustek 120 pro and I must say that I'm a bit disappointed. My V600 is not that far behind and for me  that scanner is enough
Take a look

Both are portra scanned on V600
(and sorry for that white borders)

celestialemissary's gear list:celestialemissary's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital IV +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow