Nerding Out with DXO Deep Prime and m43

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
mwhyte
mwhyte Regular Member • Posts: 221
Nerding Out with DXO Deep Prime and m43

After reading this thread on this forum about forum member's experiences with DXO Deep Prime NR I was inspired to do some testing on my own...

On the other forum, people were complaining about not having access to the the RAW files...You download most of the RAWs plus the PSD and JPG files used to create this post here (warning it is a large download of about 1GB)...

I have three images here...(all images have been cropped in from the original)

1. Super Hero Image - Taken today in a dark corner of a room, with ISO set to 25,600 and exposure comp set to +2 (I also took another 60 second exposure at ISO 200 for comparison)

2. Building Image - Taken at night at ISO 1600

3. Monkey Image - Taken in a dark forest but at mid day at ISO 3200

TR:DR: I am quite impressed with DXO Deep Prime

Ok...here are some test shots...

First up...Super Hero Image - Reference Shot at ISO 25600 - No Noise Reduction

EM1iii - ISO 25600 - No NR

Next up...Same shot, but processed with Deep Prime

EM1iii - ISO 25600 - DXO Deep Prime NR

Next up is a reference image with 4 images to compare Deep Prime against LR NR, Topaz DeNoise AI & DeNoise Low Light

Image comparing various NR systems

Finally for the Super Hero image I wanted to compare how an image shot at ISO 25600 and a 1/2 second exposure and processed with Deep Prime would look against a similar image shot at ISO 200 with a 1 minute exposure...

Image shot at ISO 200 vs Image shot at ISO 25600. Both images processed with DXO Deep Prime NR

Ok, now the building image (cropped a fair bit)...shot at night at ISO 1600 with a 1s exposure...

Reference shot, no noise reduction...

EM1iii - ISO 1600 - No Noise Reduction

DXO Deep Prime NR applied...

EM1iii - ISO 1600 - Deep Prime NR applied

...and a reference image comparing crops of the building with various NR systems applied...

Image comparing crops of the building using various NR systems

Finally the monkey shot...This one was shot with an EM5ii (so the older 16MP sensor) at ISO 3200...This was shot mid day but in a fairly dark tropical forest...

Reference shot...No noise reduction applied...

EM5ii - ISO 1600 - No NR

DXO Deep Prime NR applied...

EM5ii - ISO 3200 - DXO Deep Prime NR applied

A reference image comparing this shot using various NR systems...

Reference image comparing various NR systems

This was just a casual test done more for my own interest to see what all the fuss is about in regards to the DXO Deep Prime program. It is not scientific and I am not making any claims here...I only share it for your interest only...You can download the reference images in the link at the top of this post if you want to play with the images yourself...

Also I am no expert in LR noise reduction, perhaps a pro LR user could squeeze out better results from LR, but for a laymen like myself, Deep Prime was a pretty simple one click process...to get decent results...

Some downsides...I like LR for colour toning my images and have a nice library of presets to pull from for image processing so the round trip from LR to DXO PL4 and back again is not quite as smooth as it is using the Topaz tools...but if you went all in with PL4 for all your RAW processing needs than that would not be an issue...

A final point is I found the processing time for DXO Deep Prime to be much faster on my 2017 MacBook Pro vs Topaz DeNoise AI...

Sorry for the long post...but thanks for reading...

mwhyte's gear list:mwhyte's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus E-M1 III Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 EZ +2 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow