Exposure Compensation

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
Fotocorn
OP Fotocorn Regular Member • Posts: 187
Re: Exposure Compensation

Thanks sybersitizen,

I don't apply the EC to go beyond the ISO capo, I apply the EC because I am normally shooting with a bright sky as background which constitutes at least 60% or less of the frame, so my camera exposes for the sky. The bird is silhoueted against the sky so I have to increase the exposure to get the correct exposure for the bird. There is no time to fiddle with changing camera settings, so I have to guess and can be two stops out. No time to check on the preview for blinkies or the histogram. With BIF you normally get just one chance.

I set my cap at 3200 ISO, I have found anything over this is not good enough to get acceptable quality. Nearly every image has to be cropped which adds to the problem.

If the image is under-exposed, bringing it back in Raw also adds to the noise.

I am hoping that some-one has come up with a less hit and miss method of gauging the correct compensation.

Fotocorn's gear list:Fotocorn's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Nikon D7000 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-300mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow