55-250 stm vs 70-300 usm is ii on a 90D

Started 4 months ago | Questions thread
MikeJ9116 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,805
Re: 55-250 stm vs 70-300 usm is ii on a 90D

jrkliny wrote:

When it comes to telephoto lenses, we always seem to want a bit more reach. Unfortunately that typically means a lot more expense and weight for a marginal gain. There really is not going to be much difference between 250 and 300mm.

...and any difference for the OP can be made up by cropping the 32mp image.

Personally I am very happy with my 55-250 STM. I have it either on the camera or on my belt pouch for almost all of my outdoor photo sessions. It is much better than a bigger lens I would not carry. In any case if I wanted more I would not buy the 70-300. Putting a FF lens on a APS-C camera is a waste of weight and money. You are paying much more for the lens size that the crop sensor cannot use.

If a person has a FF camera then buying the 70-300mm would make a lot of sense.  I bought the R a few months ago and opted for the RF 24-240mm lens which has been surprisingly good and, for me, negates the need for a lens like the 70-300mm.  Other than the sharpness, the thing like most about the 55-250mm STM is its very low weight and small size.  IMO, this lens is an amazing piece of work by Canon's design engineers.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow