Z6 plus glass or Z6 II

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
KnightPhoto2
KnightPhoto2 Senior Member • Posts: 2,095
Re: Z6 plus glass or Z6 II

BurnImage wrote:

FurmanPhotography wrote:

So my budget is roughly around 2k between selling my D750 and what I’ve saved. I have a Z6 and just picked up the 1.8 35s and 85s. I’ve got the 70-200 VR ii and 24-70 VR

I usually shoot with two bodies at once and usually utilize a prime plus a zoom for versatility without having to switch lenses. I shoot a lot of outdoor portrait sessions, pre covid a lot of live music in low light, some indoor studio work and also A LOT of photos of my very agile dogs at parks and portrait sessions for rescue dogs.

I’m really happy with the 70-200 on a Z but a little less so with the 24-70 so I’m wondering if it would be worth saving some money and getting a lightly used Z6 and putting the rest toward glass (24-70 2.8 most likely) or would the AF improvements (for said agile dogs or low light live music) warrant the purchase of the Z6 ii?

Happy to provide any additional details anyone feels is missing.

You mention AF and low light live music. To me that screams Z6 II. The reason is that low light AF has improved from -3.5EV with the Z6 to -4.5EV with the Z6 II. To me this is a massive upgrade and just about the least talked about improvement in Z land.

The Z6 II can literally see in the dark!

Even portraiture screams Z6 II doesn't it for the eye-AF within Wide mode as well as possible minor eye-AF improved functionality in the normal mode.

But yeah I do get the draw of the 24-70 f/2.8S, pretty phenomenal lens in a smaller package to boot!

-- hide signature --

Best Regards,
SteveK
'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange

KnightPhoto2's gear list:KnightPhoto2's gear list
Nikon 1 V3 Nikon D500 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 58mm f/1.4G Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4E PF ED VR +23 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow