* Wed C&C "No Theme" Thread #662 on 2020 12 30 *

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
RoelHendrickx
OP RoelHendrickx Forum Pro • Posts: 27,373
PS

RoelHendrickx wrote:

Mike Fewster wrote:

MikePDX wrote:

Haven't been doing much shooting for the past few months. But I did find time to go out to the Pacific Northwest coast a couple weeks ago when we had high surf conditions at the same time as an extreme high tide. The title comes from crashing waves at Cape Disappointment, which is in the extreme SW corner of Washington State.

Crashing Disappointment

And just to show that I haven't disappeared completely, I did read Andrew's post last week. So in the spirit of Andrew's post, here is the first image I posted to the Wednesday C&C thread when Claus was still hosting - something like #65, I think.

Still Waiting for Spring!

When will Spring ever come?? Shot with the good old E500.

Spectacular. Your angle contrasts the white against the dark headland behind. This brings out the fine details of the surface and the tiny droplets parting from the wave. Catching a moment where some of the wave is being hurled forwards while another section is hurled back adds drama and energy - it shouts of the conflict between ocean and land.

Above, the lighthouse remains secure and aloof.

I'll concur with all that Mike said.

And let me just put it this way : If this is Crashing Disappointment, then I surely hope that my 2021 is filled with crashing disappointments.

The drama could hardly be more... dramatic.

I thought it would look good too in contrasty B&W, so I gave that a go.

But too much contrast did not look good at all, so I dialed the contrast down.

I also followed someone else's suggestion for a crop, not to 1:1 square but to 4:3 (coming from 3:2 I assume).  It results in a slightly more concentrated feeling, because all that hydro-power has less empty space to escape into.

Here is the (crude - Snapseed on Iphone on a small image file) result.

I can always delete it if you want me to.

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx
lots of images: http://www.roelh.zenfolio.com

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow