Sony 20mm F1.8 first experiences (compared to 16-35 GM)

Started 10 months ago | User reviews thread
joger
joger Veteran Member • Posts: 6,497
Re: Sony 20mm F1.8 first experiences (compared to 16-35 GM)

N4865G wrote:

...Please do not take this post as provocative. I merely want to share my experience and decision making process in order to optimise my lens portfolio.

I think I will be selling my GM zoom and keeping the prime. Versatility of the zoom turned out not to be an advantage with my shooting style, but the weight and space savings (never mind the cost) are significant.

Thanks

Dom

Hi Dom,

excellent quick comparison and I fully understand your sentiment about size and weight - this is why I chose some primes over the comparable slow f/2.8 GM zooms as well. Zooming by feet or virtually is a viable option and most primes outpace the zooms by a hefty bit.

As alway individual mileage varies and needs may vary too.

It is good that you point out what counts most for your need not implying others will have the exact same needs - that said we seem to agree on the very same priorities

-- hide signature --

“The horizon of many people is a circle with zero radius which they call their point of view.” Albert Einstein
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." Douglas Adams

joger's gear list:joger's gear list
Sony a7R IV Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM Sony FE 12-24mm F4 Sony FE 135mm F1.8 GM Sony FE 200-600 F5.6-6.3 +11 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow