On the 50mm 1.2, 1.8 and 58 1.4...

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Patrick McMahon
OP Patrick McMahon Senior Member • Posts: 1,409
Re: On the 50mm 1.2, 1.8 and 58 1.4...

GeorgioDS wrote:

I own all three and find that each is unique and has its uses. Of course, they were acquired at different times and had they been available simultaneously I'd likely have purchased only one, the 50mm f/1.2 S. The 1.8 is reasonably compact and is more of a landscape lens. The 58mm f/1.4 has the best bokeh but is really a soft focus lens, IMHO.

Having not had it on my camera in a while, I was surprised how comfortable the 58 w/ FTZ felt. I am seeing it in a whole new light now, Some of my favorite portraits are from the 58mm on my Df. My very beautiful wife is no longer in her 20's and a sharp lens apparently does not appeal to her!

The 1.2 is going to be amazing on young brides, models and those with plaster like foundation on their faces. I suspect it will be less forgiving on those with a laugh line or two. I also suspect it will be terrific for me as a travel/street/night lens.

The 1.8 is really just a phenomenal jack of all trades.

But the 58 turns skin into butter at the expense of sharpness... but to the delight of many.

Patrick McMahon's gear list:Patrick McMahon's gear list
Sony RX100 IV Nikon Df Nikon Z6 Nikon Z50 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +11 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow