Without some travel do you struggle for landscape photog?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Kevner Contributing Member • Posts: 612
Re: Without some travel do you struggle for landscape photog?

I forgot what the quote was but it goes something like this:

"Sometimes, Its hardest for the artist to see what is right around them"

I appreciate the discipline it takes to try and see something in the landscape that is immediately around me and document it creatively.  I feel it stretches my critical eye and over the years I have developed three or four series of images documenting a singular topic.  When I lived in Las Vegas, NV, I had a series of images documenting various contrail formations that would occur in the late fall and early spring.  There were several thousand captures that were later turned into an exhibit of 50 B&W images.  I did the same thing with a palm tree outside my front door, although we moved before I finished that one.  Now living in northern Nevada, I have a somewhat unexciting mountain on the other side of the valley that I have been photographing.  It takes an effort to see something in it, but that is the point.  I look at this effort like I do learning ball skills, like dribbling, for basketball.  Maybe dribbling isn't all that exciting, but the more time and effort put in practice and skills building, the better your game is.

Kevner's gear list:Kevner's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony a7R II
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Lan
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow