Exposure Compensation

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Fotocorn
Fotocorn Regular Member • Posts: 187
Exposure Compensation

I use a Nikon D500.

I have two areas of confusion which I am hoping will be cleared-up for me.

I have always understood that if the camera is set to spot metering mode and the Focus is also set to spot is spot, then the exposure follows the focus spot. Doubt has now been sown after reading that this is not so.

Can some-one give me a definitive answer and is it correct that this occurs in only the specific combination of spot in both exposure and focus modes?

I shoot mainly birds and BIF. I use manual exposure with auto ISO with a limit set by me. This enables me to ensure I have enough shutter speed to stop the bird and enough depth of field to give me more focus latitude. Also that my exposure can cope with the varying light conditions.

If the light requires more ISO than my imposed limit, the meter will show an underexposure. To correct the exposure I either open the aperture or reduce shutter speed to bring the meter back to zero.

If I introduce Exposure Compensation, as I understand, all that is happening is that the meter zero base is being re-calibrated to show zero at a higher or lower level of illumination.

If I add say +2EV Exposure compensation, then the meter will indicate zero as being the "correct exposure"  plus 2 additional stops. The camera will then expose at a setting either higher or lower than it would have done without exposure compensation.

I hope I am correct!!

Fotocorn's gear list:Fotocorn's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Nikon D7000 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-300mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR +3 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow