* Wed C&C "No Theme" Thread #662 on 2020 12 30 *

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
minniev Veteran Member • Posts: 3,742
Re: Totally Fake 8: Jackson - Mississippi

Of course I find this utterly fascinating. A friend from Netherlands flying over my dam in the universe of virtual life. How wonderful!

Yes, that was a cloudless but hazy day, just as you describe. I can imagine spotting your plane as I stood on the banks of the Pearl looking for birds, and spotting a metal one instead of one made of feathers.

The Pearl is of course what was used to make the reservoir, in an attempt to create a water supply for the metro area, and help with flood protection for the capital city. Certain hills, some of them Indian mounds, remain as islands in the lake. The one you corrected the software for, one of the ones along Hwy 43, might have been the archaic mound 6000 years old full of amazing relics, or it might have been Pelican island where our white pelicans live when wintering here, or maybe the island where my son's father in law keeps goats. The Pearl pours through the spillway where the dam birds hang out amidst the concrete supports of the dam, seen in my this week's offering. It then winds its way southward to the Gulf of Mexico. Much of my volunteer work since my retirement has been directed towards calling attention to the sad plight of the Pearl and we have made progress in getting her cleaned up and protected. There's still much to do.

But on to your images: I agree with Roel that they have real value just as photographs without understanding much about their creation. Your skill at composition and story are well displayed in these images, and the feeling of unimpeded solitude and peace comes across in every offering.

Thank you so much for sharing this!

Fox328 wrote:

It was sunday morning before 7 am (local time) when I found myself at Jackson/Evers airport (KJAN). It was still dark then and at the time i took off. I first made a couple of circles over Jackson before i saw the sun coming up to found out it was a bit hazy.

After flying some time the sun gave some more light but the haze didn't disappear.

In this picture you can see the Ross R. Barnett Reservoir and if you watch it full size you can also see the Pearl river coming out of the reservoir.

In this picture i am flying over Spilway road and the Dam. Unfortunately no birds could be seen .

Here you can see the Ross R. Barnett Reservoir through the window of the cockpit.

Just before i went back to Jackson/Evers airport i flew over route 43. I found out that on the scenery a small island was missing. The computer software had washed it out although it was captured at the satellite photograph. Later that day i have corrected this by hand so the small island is visible in the future.

Happy New Year!

Henk

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow