Is there such a thing as textured backdrop surfaces in roll form?

Started 4 months ago | Questions thread
Ed Shapiro
Ed Shapiro Regular Member • Posts: 362
Re: Is there such a thing as textured backdrop surfaces in roll form?

Here is a link to Denny Manufacturing Co. This page shows their roll-up floor drops- quite a variety.

https://dennymfg.com/collections/wood-floordrops.

Another source of all kinds of background and prop material is the Set Shop in New York City-  setshop.com

I do quite a volume of product photography and I find that, in most cases, if you want the authentic texture of wood, you really need to use real wood. Of course, lighting has lots to do with the rendition of texture as to direction, angle of incidence, and feathering techniques. How you ligh any given object depends on the reflective surface of the item and the nature of the wooden background. It's easy enough to render texture in Barnwood and not end up with unwanted glare or reflections, however, highly polished or French polished furniture type woods may require a polarizing filter and that needs to be compatible with the product. The type of wood also should be compatible with the product. In the attached images, I used bamboo for the Asian fish dish and an actual cutting board for the sandwich. The bagels required a bakery prep table and basket-weave material. The lighting accentuated texture in the products and the wood.

-- hide signature --

Ed Shapiro- Commercial and Portrait Photographer. Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow