Summicron-r 50mm f2 adapted onto Canon EF and M

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
backsidewalkaround Regular Member • Posts: 201
Re: Summicron-r 50mm f2 adapted onto Canon EF and M

PhotosByHall wrote:

backsidewalkaround wrote:

I'm not an expert in portrait photography, but I know a little about the lens. I would say, it really depends on which kind of portraits you want to shoot. I can tell you that the Summicron-R is quite sharp and contrasty from wide open, much like a Zeiss lens (this is one trait to think about). Contrary to a Zeiss lens, its bokeh can have lots of "character". Stopped down it's tack sharp. It's "only" f/2 (which as of late I think is the perfect spot for having the right amount of sharpness and DOF for nice portraits). In my opinion a faster lens doesn't have enough DOF for headshots, but it will give you more options at longer distances.
If sharpness is not what you're looking for, maybe a lens with a bit of glow wide open is right for you. In this case I'd pick up my Revuenon 1.2/55 or Canon FD 1.2/55 SSC (non asph).

Yeah, I'm looking for something ultra-sharp. (A high quality Zeiss recommendation would also be acceptable.) But at the minute, the R version is pretty well priced for what is said to be one of the best 50 formulas there is. (the 35mm cron on the other hand is very expensive indeed)

Like Ching-Kuang Shene writes below: A portrait lens typically is longer, if you're going to use it on a Canon R full frame camera. On the other hand a 50mm lens is also a useful portrait lens, if you like to include some context into your image.

I'm sure the Canon RF 50mm f/1.2 L USM is by far the best option, but it's also crazy expensive. Since you're saying you intend to keep it "forever" it is still an option to think about. In the Sony world I got the Planar 1.4/50 which is divine as a portrait lens.
If you're looking for cheapter alternatives with great sharpness and bokeh, I think it also needs to be a modern lens like a Sigma 1.4/50 Art (I have the 1.4/35 since my Canon days and still love it).
Quite a bit cheaper, but also less sharp is the predecessor the Sigma 1.4/50 EX DG which I had only briefly. I can attest to it having great bokeh and good sharpness (if you set it right).

As far as manual options go that are a little older, I'd choose the following two over the Summicron-R (which is still very good): 
- OM Zuiko 2/50 Macro

- Zeiss Makro-Planar 2/50 ZE/ZF

both very sharp and contrasty from wide open (at least in the center). After a long journey they are the ones to keep for me. If I had to pick only one of them I'd choose the Makro-Planar, even though the Zuiko is sharper. For me the MP50 has more magic (maybe I just shot more images with it I really like).

Also extremely sharp is the Contax G 2/45, but it is finnicky to handle, not as durable and even wider (so less of a portrait option unless you want to include even more surroundings). For me it is a landscape lens.

The Contax Planar 1.4/50 isn't a miracle worker as far as sharpness goes, but still a great lens with equal sharpness to the Summicron and nicer bokeh, which is why I would probably prefer it.

If you're looking for the best bang for the buck, I'd consider one of the new chinese lenses from 7artisans or TTartisans or Kamlan or ... . I don't have any first hand experience, but from reading quite a few reviews or opinions, I think they are in fact quite good, often with great sharpness in the center and exquisit bokeh. They are lacking most as landscape options, because they're not as sharp in the corners.

It's going to be an investment into my portrait kit anyway, if the lens is all that it is said it is - I'll be keeping it as long as I have a camera

I've got some nice 'glowy' lenses already, but will check out those examples.

I also think f2 is fine for portraits. If the wide aperture is there, I will only end up using it and having too little DOF for sharp focus on a close up I know what I am like - need to get away from shooting close ups wide open when in good light.

It will be used on a Canon M and in the future a Canon R. There aren't any pitfalls right? It's a 35mm SLR Leica lens, so should work fine as a fully manual lens on M and R with a Leica R to Canon EF adapter and then added on to the appropriate M or R adapter?

As long as there is an adapter it will work. Only wideangle rangefinder lenses (for Leica M, Contax G, ...) may be problematic, not because, you can't adapt them, but because of the relatively thick glass in front of the sensor of your modern full frame camera. The rays of light going through the lens hit that plane in too much of an angle causing "corner smearing" and color shift. 50mm and above should not be a problem, though.

Thanks!

-- hide signature --
 backsidewalkaround's gear list:backsidewalkaround's gear list
Sony a7R III Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Sony FE 50mm F1.4 ZA Sony FE 200-600 F5.6-6.3 +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow