Summicron-r 50mm f2 adapted onto Canon EF and M

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
backsidewalkaround Regular Member • Posts: 201
Re: Summicron-r 50mm f2 adapted onto Canon EF and M

PhotosByHall wrote:

Hi all,

I am looking for a top new portrait lens for my Canon EF and M systems.

Someone said that the a Summicron R 50mm would be a top notch choice - was meant to be trying out a friend's but most of England has just gone into Tier 4 as of a few hours ago and my Jan shoots will be cancelled.

I understand its a 35mm so it will work on DSLR as well as M mirrorless?

They are coming in about £320 on Ebay.

Does anyone have any experience or recommendations? Any pitfalls? Better to spend the money on something else?

Cheers

I'm not an expert in portrait photography, but I know a little about the lens. I would say, it really depends on which kind of portraits you want to shoot. I can tell you that the Summicron-R is quite sharp and contrasty from wide open, much like a Zeiss lens (this is one trait to think about). Contrary to a Zeiss lens, its bokeh can have lots of "character". Stopped down it's tack sharp. It's "only" f/2 (which as of late I think is the perfect spot for having the right amount of sharpness and DOF for nice portraits). In my opinion a faster lens doesn't have enough DOF for headshots, but it will give you more options at longer distances.
If sharpness is not what you're looking for, maybe a lens with a bit of glow wide open is right for you. In this case I'd pick up my Revuenon 1.2/55 or Canon FD 1.2/55 SSC (non asph).

backsidewalkaround's gear list:backsidewalkaround's gear list
Sony a7R III Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Sony FE 50mm F1.4 ZA Sony FE 200-600 F5.6-6.3 +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow