D5200 with Sigma 1.4x 1401 tele converter on Sigma 150-600c, will it autofocus?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Jocksa
Jocksa Senior Member • Posts: 1,057
Re: Yes but ...

David Lal wrote:

Jocksa wrote:

Both zooms and teleconverters have come a long way optically.

Jocksa, I am sure you are right. Even so, images I see here and on other photographic website where a teleconverter has been used with a zoom lens, particularly bird images, fail to impress me. Of course, now and again there are exceptions.

David, firstly I wouldn't question your experience, and I hope you won't think me argumentative, but I like to experiment and when I find something that challenges my preconceptions, I think it's worth sharing.

Given that it's cold and dark, I thought I would recreate the previous test but this time leave the focal length of the lens unchanged so that any change in quality can only be attributed to the teleconverter.

Again, the test is which one is with and which without the teleconverter (with apologies to the OP as this has nothing to do with AF).

Picture 1

Picture 2

I can't tell them apart without reference to the filename.

-- hide signature --

“Stand in front of something more interesting.”

Jocksa's gear list:Jocksa's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5D IF ED +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow