R6 - questions with older EF lenses

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
OP gipper51 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,183
Re: R6 - questions with older EF lenses

Rick Rizza wrote:

Hi,

R6 user here willing to share a bit:

1. I use the "free" EF to EOS R adapter on my 85mm 1.4 L IS and the image stabilization are far better than before. My images are sharper in low light condition.
  2. My old EF100-400 somehow works better without lens IS turned on. How many stops? It depends on your lens mm. The IBIS takes benefit of the edge of the image circle to maintain stability. Tele photos about 6 stops and wider lens can get even more, like 8 stop. So, that's what happened with my old EF100-400 that I bought in 1998, it becomes better. The great thing is that I don't need to select between the IS mode anymore.
  3. I used high speed shots with EF24-105 f4 L IS USM and it's the same performance that I got (Or I never realized lower performance anyway), but why 7? The capability is from the camera body and if you think it is because of the speed of AF in EF lenses, well I'm not sure what motor drive your lens used. If it's USM, then I think the speed is just remarkable enough.

That's my experience, let's wait until other expert are commenting and said what a fool I am.

Regards

Thanks for the info, good to hear the IS seems to work very nicely on these EF lenses.

The 7fps seems to be something that older EF lenses on the R5/R6 exhibit.  No idea what the technical reason is, but Canon only lists a select handful of EF glass getting the full 12fps, and it's mostly lenses from after  2010-ish.  7fps is the number to expect for older lenses that don't make the cut (as I understand it).

-- hide signature --
 gipper51's gear list:gipper51's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM +14 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow