TOPAZ DENOISE AI Artefacts

Started Jun 4, 2019 | Discussions thread
Victor Engel Forum Pro • Posts: 19,275
Re: TOPAZ DENOISE AI Artefacts

I just bought the product today (should have used the trial first, but there was a time limited special price on offer. I've already requested a refund because of artifacts. The first artifact turned out not to be a problem with Topaz Denoise but apparently with Apple's Preview app. I never expected that. Portions of the image were being shifted a pixel or two resulting in parallel lines of building windows having discontinuities.
Having said that, there are other issues I have with the software, the most glaring one is that the software sometimes accentuates noise instead of reducing it, apparently because it thinks it found items needing sharpening. This is after I reduced both the default denoise amount and the default sharpening amount and also added back some original sharpening, which evidently simply puts some of the original image back. Here are a couple of crops of the same general part of before and after.

Before denoise

After denoise

The other main issue I have with it is the transition between noise reduction and no noise reduction. That is most clearly seen when the size of detail in the image gradually changes size from one part of the image to the other. For example, subject that is very out of focus gets noise reduced to buttery smooth. Meanwhile, parts of the image with about the same amount of actual noise but that has actual detail almost in focus doesn't have the noise reduced. This inconsistency is worse than no noise reduction.
Another example that's not so obvious. It seems the software thinks the tree is a tile roof or something. It changes the random noise pattern to nearly parallel lines.

Before denoise

After denoise

P.S. I should mention that these screen shots are from viewing in Photoshop at 200% because I'm using a Retina monitor. The artifacts are still visible at lower magnification but not as obvious.

-- hide signature --

Victor Engel

Victor Engel's gear list:Victor Engel's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 600D Canon EOS 5DS Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II +13 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow