50mm f/1.0, To Keep or Not To Keep, This is a question?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
gipper51 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,183
Re: 50mm f/1.0, To Keep or Not To Keep, This is a question?

Tough call.  On the one hand, this is a "crown jewel of the collection" type of lens.  On the other hand, it's a crown jewel gathering dust.  Lenses aren't faberge eggs meant to just be looked at in a glass cabinet; mounted on cameras taking pictures is where they're happiest!

In my shoes, I would sell it.  But I'm not a collector and own very few objects that I have a strong sentimental attachment to.  A lens like this, if I owned one and found myself using it alot then it would certainly be "my precious".   If I wasn't using it, I'd rather have the $$ and buy some gear I'd actually enjoy.

As another person said, bolt it to a camera for a week or a month and see what happens.  If you find some spark and want to keep shooting it, there ya have it.  If it does nothing for you after that, time to move on.

-- hide signature --
 gipper51's gear list:gipper51's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM +14 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
BTP
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow