28-135 usm lens

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
gipper51 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,182
Re: 28-135 usm lens

It was my first EOS lens when I switched to Canon in 2010.  Paired it with a used 1Ds I had just bought.  It was a decent-but-unspectacular lens.   Not sure I'd want it again today, as I'd rather take an APS-C camera with my excellent 18-135 STM over the 28-135 on a FF body.  That said, for a cheap travel or knock-around lens the 28-135 is certainly worth considering.

I think this lens' biggest issue is copy variation.  It was an early superzoom with IS, and QC along with expectations of such a lens were not the same in the 90s as they are today.  And I'm sure heavily used ones have not aged well.  There were a lot more 'duds' floating around than modern lenses.  If you got a good one it was pretty decent, but copies that were terrible on one side or at certain focal ranges seem fairly common with the 28-135.  Seems to be a lens many shooters try several copies of before finding a really good one.

-- hide signature --
 gipper51's gear list:gipper51's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM +14 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow