My darktable workflow to provide a decent baseline

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Rightsaidfred
Rightsaidfred Senior Member • Posts: 1,260
My darktable workflow to provide a decent baseline

Dear forum community

When it comes to darktable, I am still learning and would not call myself an advanced user. I started to work with this raw converter about two years ago. I am grateful to the DPReview community for interesting posts and discussions around darktable. Having already shared parts of my workflow in the Fuji-X forum, I'll now do a brief overall description here. This workflow delivers me a decent baseline for possible further actions in darktable. Since I have an X-T20, it is Fuji focused.

My photo management system

Lensfun database update

• Lensfun is an open database of lens correction profiles
  • For how to accomplish an update, see my Linux thread.

My darktable presets that deliver me a decent baseline

• Base curve deactivated (since I work with LUTs)
  • Denoise profiled activated (standard parameters)
  • Lens correction activated (need to select the lens manually in case of manual lenses)
  • Exposure +0.5 EV (with this, I get an exposure equal to jpeg OOC with Fujifilm X-trans III sensor)
  • Defringe activated (standard parameters)
  • Sharpen
    *Base ISO <= ISO < 1600: radius 1.5 - amount 2 - threshold 0.5;
    *1600 <= ISO < 3200: radius 1.5 - amount 2 - threshold 0.5;
    *ISO >= 3200: radius 1 - amount 1 - threshold 0.5
  • LUT 3D: Fuji XTrans III - Classic Chrome.png

Comments

• Demosaic: I stick with the default, Markesteijn 1-pass - it is good for most of my raws
  • LUTs: Classic Chrome is my preset but I can change to any other Fuji film sim with one click
  • When I don't use Fuji XTrans III - Classic Chrome.png, I apply a saturation of 1.05 in the color correction profile, it fits the colors better (e.g., Provia, Astia etc)

LUTs

Acknowledgement

Many thanks to the darktable developers, to the Lensfun community, to Stuart Sowerby, to user prophotoshow for the Classic Negative LUT. Many thanks to my teachers in this forum in terms of darktable, His Dudeness, tokumeino, sluggy_warrior, CAcreeks, and many others.

Some interesting links to forum contributions can be found here: darktable version 3 // Did you change your workflow for Fujifilm style emulation?

Discussion welcome!

BR,

Martin

Rightsaidfred's gear list:Rightsaidfred's gear list
Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm X-T4 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +6 more
Fujifilm X-T20
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow