rechargeable AA batteries and charger

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
GossCTP Veteran Member • Posts: 5,642
Re: rechargeable AA batteries and charger

tugwilson wrote:

Arvind Balaraman wrote:

Looking to get some rechargeable AA batteries and charger for my transmitter. What is a good brand. I have been using eneloop till date and they dont seem to hold power for long

Triggers use very little power so they are often designed to use batteries that provide 1.5 volts rather than ~1.2 volts that a normal rechargeable battery delivers when fully charged. In doing so they will generally report that the battery needs replacing a long time before it actually does. So it's possible that your batteries are actually holding power it's just that the trigger is misreporting the amount of energy left.

Most of the Pentax DSLRs that used AAs had this problem. The battery meter was basically a volt meter that relied on the linear voltage discharge of alkalines to display properly.

Because triggers use very little power compared to speedlights it's very common to leave batteries in them for long periods of time. That means that there's a danger of a battery leak which can render the trigger useless. That's why I recommend you use non rechargeable lithium batteries like the Energiser. They will register correctly with the trigger, last a very long time and not leak.

Never had a nickle based battery leak that I can recall. Had many alkaline batteries ruin devices. I'll take my chances on the rechargeables. The single use lithium batteries are too expensive for the benefit in this situation to me.

-- hide signature --

"Law and order" is anathema to liberty and justice.

GossCTP's gear list:GossCTP's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 II Fujifilm X-H1 Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 +8 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow