Which Software do you recommend for new photographer

Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
OP Xlr8tin Regular Member • Posts: 244
Re: Which Software do you recommend for new photographer

davidedric wrote:

I thought I might as well add my two pence. Lightroom Classic is at the core of my workflow, but we know we're not going there. I also have DxO PhotoLab 4, Affinity and a few odds and sods. I haven't tried Capture 1. I did get the free SilkyPix with my Panasonics, but I didn't like it at all - you may feel differently of course.

So, after that long disclaimer, if I had to go away from Lightroom, I would move to PhotoLab (in fact I often front end Lightroom with PL). In the Elite version:

Excellent raw conversion

Best lens correction. I don't know if this has been mentioned, but DxO apply their own lab measured corrections, which, for example, can give a more complete frame than Lightroom.

Class leading noise reduction

Their Control Point adjustments may seem quirky at first, but in practice are fast and effective.

Viewpoint perspective correction, and a version of their film emulation are included.

A couple of qualifications:

Only buy the Elite version

It's very much a raw processor. Their PRIME noise reduction is applied at the demosaicing stage, so cannot be used on jpegs

It's not specially cheap to own, especially if you buy a newly released camera. DxO do not add new cameras to their current release (someone will correct me if I've got that wrong), so you may be forced into an upgrade. Otherwise of course it's a one-off purchase.

So you are saying DxO is pretty good? I'll check them out

Xlr8tin's gear list:Xlr8tin's gear list
Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony FE 20mm F1.8G +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow