Which Software do you recommend for new photographer

Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
OP Xlr8tin Regular Member • Posts: 244
Re: Which Software do you recommend for new photographer

dj_paige wrote:

charlyw64 wrote:

Xlr8tin wrote:

charlyw64 wrote:

Use the software that comes with your camera.

Stay clear of the unmitigated desaster area of Skylum software like Luminar, they are the worst company with a proven track record of overpromising and underselling and total lack of continuity which makes learning to operate their software (should you be so unlucky to even get it to work) rather moot. Teir only only working departments being marketing and paid youtube shills...

I bought the camera used so nothing came with it. If Skylum is so bad, what do you use?

I use the dreaded Adobe subscription because it’s by far the best value for money - and provides long term viability. Many other are “one time purchases” but that’s only half the story. They either don’t provide the long term viability (some of the companies behind these softwares were already on the verge of folding because the one time purchase price is way too low to be sustaning constant development) or basically require yearly update purchases to keep up with OS updates, bug fixing and improvements - if you don’t purchase these updates you are only crippling yourself. So IMHO they too are de-facto subscriptions. Skylum is another matter alltogether, the are the worst of the lot by a very large margin...

Regarding one time purchases, people who have doggedly stuck with their older one-time purchase of Lightroom, and not upgraded to the subscription, are now seeing features stop working; and of course, they don't have the newer features as well.

This is always a problem with one-time purchases, how long will they really last?

I can see this being an issue for professional photographers that do this for a living, but I wonder how this is as important to someone like me who doesn't make a dime doing this

Xlr8tin's gear list:Xlr8tin's gear list
Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony FE 20mm F1.8G +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow