Nikon Z 35/1.8 S - hard to find a well centered copy?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
quintana Regular Member • Posts: 447
Nikon Z 35/1.8 S - hard to find a well centered copy?

I have currently two copies of this lens. I bought one two weeks ago on the used market.

In multiple tests there were always one or two corners significantly softer than the others. Not really bad and most probably within Nikon‘s norm but definitely and easily visible at f/2 and still visible at f/4.

So I bought a second copy of this lens brand new to check if it is any better. Unfortunately it isn’t. There are still always 1-2 corners distinctively softer than the others and the extent is only ever so slightly better than the first copy.
Since I‘m testing on a not very demanding 24 MP body (Z5) I‘m a bit disappointed. I can live with some decentering in zoom lenses as they are more complex but with a prime lens that costs usually around 750 Euros (only now with instant rebates 100 Euros less) I find it not very satisfying.

My Z 24/1.8 is perfectly centered and even my 24-70/4 zoom lens is better centered at all focal lengths than both 35/1.8 lenses.

What are your experiences with centering of Z mount prime lenses and the 35mm in particular?

I really hope that my Z 85/1.8 that is currently back ordered will perform significantly better than the 35/1.8.

quintana's gear list:quintana's gear list
Nikon Z7 Nikon Z 24mm F1.8 S Nikon Z 16-50mm F3.5-6.3 VR Nikon Z 50-250mm F4.5-6.3 VR
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow