Are telephoto lenses good for travel?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
Nick5
Nick5 Senior Member • Posts: 1,387
Re: Are telephoto lenses good for travel?

darrenhaken wrote:

I am trying to understand whether a telephoto lens is a good range to have for travel - something like 70-200 or 70-300. 1.8 primes.

Some photographers I follow take some really nice telephoto shots but I have tended to shy away from buying one due to the weight and size of lugging them around.

I currently travel with a 16-35, 24-105 and a couple of light. I even wondered if I should even ditch the mid-zoom and pair the 16-35 with a telephoto.

Not that we can travel right now but I am being hopeful I might get a trip by spring somewhere!

If anyone has images to share where the telephoto really shines do share.

If I was forced to travel with only two lenses on a Pair of Gripped 5D Mark III’s the 16-35 f/4 L IS and the 70-200 f/4 L IS Mark II. The 70-200 f/2.8 L IS Mark II stays home due to weight. The 100-400 Mark II while stellar may come along, it rarely gets tossed in the Walk around bag...... the weight.

Along with the 16-35 and the 70-200 f/4 L IS II, comes the 24-70 f/4 L IS, 24 TS-E Tilt/ Shift and 1.4 EX-III. 
While a heavy rolling Thinktank Airport International, I can break down what I need to walk around for the day while in Europe carried in a Thinktank Retrospective 40.

Nick5's gear list:Nick5's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II +7 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow