Astronomical event of interest worth capturing

Started Dec 7, 2020 | Discussions thread
emsig
emsig Contributing Member • Posts: 748
A late try

December 24, suddenly clouds and fog disapeared, the two planets are visible, quite near the horizon. I gave it a try with the Pana 100-400m. No remarkable results at the long end. But then I realised that at 100mm I could also capture the landscape.

Enjoy your Christmas Day!

Emilio

Messier Object wrote:

Jupiter and Saturn are approaching conjunction in the sky - ie close together

over the next 2 weeks they will approach to within about 7 arc minutes (that's just 7/60 of a degree) around 21 December

if the weather is kind to us this will be an excellent opportunity to take some interesting photographs

Jupiter is very bright and easy to spot in the western evening sky. Saturn is not as bright but can be seen close by

A long telephoto lens, good technique and sharp focus will capture Jupiter and its brightest moons, and Saturn with its rings and brightest moon Titan. At closest approach we should be able to catch both the Jovian and Saturnian systems in the one frame !

If you know where to look both planets can even be imaged in blue sky before sunset. The easiest way to find them is to see where they are just after sunset and then find them a little earlier on successive days.

I'm just about to set up my equatorial mount for some deep sky photography tonight. I'll mount up my long camera lens before the sun sets and see if I can catch Jupiter and Saturn.

Here are Venus and Jupiter together in 2015.
Jupiter and Saturn will be even closer

Peter

emsig's gear list:emsig's gear list
Olympus PEN-F Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Olympus OM-D E-M1X Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow