Attachment of Peak Design Anchor Connectors

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Techvet Forum Member • Posts: 84
Attachment of Peak Design Anchor Connectors

I have not seen where this was previously discussed, but I figured I would share my experience in case someone else finds it useful. I have two X-T3s and a X-E3, and I use Peak Design’s Leash neck straps/Cuff wrist straps on all three. As many of you know, their Anchor system is innovative and easily allows you to switch from Leash to Cuff and back in seconds.

My challenge was figuring the best way to attach the anchors to my bodies. Obviously, you cannot attach the anchors directly to the lugs. The Fuji triangle split rings seem like an easy, obvious choice, but are far from perfect because the rings and PD anchors slide around a lot. I tried using JJC circular split rings and they worked better than the Fuji rings.  But, I wanted something slimmer, so my quest led me to these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KAFDFES/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 .

Turns out I wasn’t alone and other camera buffs have done the same. Now these split rings are only 6mm wide and are VERY stiff. You can probably forget about using the little tool that Fuji provides to install these. I used a small screwdriver (1/8” inch) and some small flat nosed pliers to get the rings on the lugs. If you are careful, you won’t spring/distort them. I also recommend taping off the camera body in the area around the lugs with some gaffers tape to protect it. I had no issues, but one slip against an unprotected surface could spell disaster. One Amazon reviewer recommended using a small piece of heat shrink tubing to dress the rings up and prevent scratches on the camera finish. I am not sure it provides any protection, but it does look more finished, so I did this treatment on mine.

The best part is that the transition from strap to body is incredibly slim and the anchor  easily slides under and disappears between the ring and middle finger when holding the camera. It is so slim that you almost forget that the anchor is even there. At one time, I read were PD apparently supplied something like these in their strap kits (I had a pair in one of mine, but not the others.) The ones I’ve linked to are a tad smaller than that those PD ones.

Split Rings Compared - Fuji Triangle, JJC Round, PD Ring (NLA?), and the one I used

Close-up of slit ring attached to camera.

Split Ring and Anchor comfortably disappear under index finger

Techvet's gear list:Techvet's gear list
Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS +5 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow