Are telephoto lenses good for travel?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
jhorse Veteran Member • Posts: 4,651
Re: Are telephoto lenses good for travel?

Hi, my question is what is the purpose and nature of the the 'travel'? Travel covers a huge array of activities, noting that the travelling element is simply the journey to get to a location or activity (which of course can be fun itself and present photo opportunities too). That would shape the decision on what focal lengths are either needed or desired, If my travels are focusing on animals I take (on APS-C format) 100-400 + x1.4 convertor. If I am hiking and in rural environments I take a 55-200.

I think the key issue is the size and weight of any given telephoto lens relative to one's tolerance to carrying it and the photo opportunities.  Carrying my 100-400 in a backpack (a hiking one not a photo one) is, for me fine.  Hiking last year in the Alps, I took a 55-200, enjoyed using it and it was not an issue carrying it.

-- hide signature --
 jhorse's gear list:jhorse's gear list
Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-T4 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 +6 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow