Are telephoto lenses good for travel?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
Blind Bill
Blind Bill Contributing Member • Posts: 984
Re: Are telephoto lenses good for travel?

darrenhaken wrote:

I am trying to understand whether a telephoto lens is a good range to have for travel - something like 70-200 or 70-300. 1.8 primes.

Two years ago I took a 16-35 WA and 70-300 telephoto to Ireland and never felt limited by not having other mid-range lenses with me. The extra reach of 300mm was very useful when in the countryside.

Some photographers I follow take some really nice telephoto shots but I have tended to shy away from buying one due to the weight and size of lugging them around.

Last year on a trip to New England I took the 16-35 WA and a 100-400. The latter lens is a bit heavier than the 70-300 but, again, some of my best images on that trip came with that lens (including closeups of fall leaves)

I currently travel with a 16-35, 24-105 and a couple of light. I even wondered if I should even ditch the mid-zoom and pair the 16-35 with a telephoto.

Not that we can travel right now but I am being hopeful I might get a trip by spring somewhere!

On any future trips for landscape captures I would definitely have a WA and mid-telephoto in my bag.

Here is a shot taken with my 100-400 that I think expresses why I travel with a telephoto for landscape images.

Blind Bill's gear list:Blind Bill's gear list
Sony a7R III Carl Zeiss Apo Sonnar T* 2/135 Zeiss Milvus 15mm F2.8 Zeiss Milvus 50mm F2 Macro Sony FE 24mm F1.4 GM +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow