Incoming snowy owl

Started 2 months ago | Photos thread
dzba Senior Member • Posts: 1,606
Re: Incoming snowy owl

Morris0 wrote:

Yesterday was the first day of winter here in NYC yet it was a present 54f when I arrived in the parking lot of the South Shore beach where I photograph the snowy owls. At the end of the Dune Trail I climbed the last dune and immediately spotted a group of photographers surrounding a snowy owl. They were about a quarter mile away and I decided to walk along water's edge to see what was doing there. I spotted some dunlin bathing in tidal pools and started to stalk them. I was about 100 yards from the owl when it blasted off. The owl cleared the photographers and headed out over the the waves.

I tend to react similarly when there are several photographers there before me.  I set up off to the side and make the most of it.  That often works out best for me.

-1 Then it turned and headed directly toward me

I love it when that happens !   A challenge for me to capture, but I am working on it.

of the in flight images you posted, this is my favorite.  I like the glide postion of it's wings, and the intense look, and confidence too.  Humans ?...... so what, here I come.

-3 Apparently, the owl was after the same dunlin I was

-4 I had not realized the owl was after the dunlin till I got home and saw my photos

-5 The owl made a close pass in front of me and unlike other large birds there is no sound of air displacement as it flies, just total silence

I can say that when eagles fly directly over me at close range my heart is pounding so loud I am unable to hear much of anything.

-6 She putdown on the beach about 100 feet from me

Yes!  I like the rear view of it's wings.  Beautiful bird.

-7 I walked over with a tidal pool between us. I was at 50 feet, the minimum allowed here and took this portrait.

I'm a sucker for wildlife portrait style images.  

That was the start of a wonderful afternoon shoot.

The BIFs are impressive.  I still struggle with them, especially when they approach me directly.  Maybe the new to me gear will help with that, some.

Eagle season here is just getting started.    

Comments and suggestions welcome,

Morris

Thanks for sharing more of your work here.  Even though I don't respond to each of your posts, I do enjoy viewing them.

Stay well,

Happy Holidays,

Mike

-- hide signature --

"in a world where you can be anything, Be Kind ", borrowed from a Winnie the Pooh tee shirt.

dzba's gear list:dzba's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ30 Canon EOS Rebel T4i Nikon D7500 Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 II Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM +2 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow