Thinking of getting a Nikon 24-70 2.8 VR

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
NotASpeckOfCereal Senior Member • Posts: 1,808
Re: Thinking of getting a Nikon 24-70 2.8 VR

PHXAZCRAIG wrote:

I also like to shoot with primes, but then there is travel. When I travel, other than for diving, it could be anywhere in the world, and it definitely means getting into scenarios where I don't know ahead of time what lens would be best.

That means, for travel, I value flexibility. My ideal choices here would be 14-24, 24-70 and 80-400.

Yes, I have kept my nicer zooms for scenarios that don't involve carrying a larger bag of lenses.

But there are two kinds of travel 1) photography travel, where I need my best lenses, and 2) travel that is not primarily a photographic expedition, when I can bring less.

Unfortunately, I don't get to do a lot of #2 these days.

I'm 64yo and still carry a large backpack of gear, but I do try to leave things in the car / motel that I don't think I'll need for a days outing (for those times when I know what I'm going to be shooting).

Also, I wonder if carrying 3-4 primes is really heavier than carrying 2 gold-ring / fast zoom lenses for the same range (like the 14-24mm and 24-70mm).

Chris

NotASpeckOfCereal's gear list:NotASpeckOfCereal's gear list
Nikon D3 Nikon D850 Fujifilm GFX 100S Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +16 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow