Are telephoto lenses good for travel?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
darrenhaken
OP darrenhaken Regular Member • Posts: 301
Re: Are telephoto lenses good for travel?

Gloomy1 wrote:

Darren I was frustrated by frequently shooting at 200mm and wanting more which was why I moved from Nikon to Sony as Nikon 200-400 lens is incredibly expensive and heavy and the 200-500 is just incredibly heavy and the Sigma 100-400 is not much heavier than the Nikon 70-200f4 and the shutter shock with the Nikon with a D810 can be terrible so I can't hand hold it. Whether you need anything longer than 200mm is difficult to say. I like long lens landscapes but using it can be frustrating with atmospheric conditions often blunting sharpness. With my posted Bassenthwaite shots the softening atmospheric conditions are part of the charm but even in Cumbria heat shimmer is often all too evident. If you haven't used 200mm then you may find it long enough, perhaps 70-300. Good luck with your search. Ken

Derwentwater and it wasn't hot at all

Thanks for all the input Ken.

On the Sony system, I had narrowed it down to the Tamron 70-180 f2.9 or the Tamron 70-300 4.5-6.3.

darrenhaken's gear list:darrenhaken's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Sony a7 III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Sony FE 16-35mm F2.8 +2 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow