The RF 28-70 F2 is truly a very magical lens that is hard to describe with words

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
noggin2k1
noggin2k1 Senior Member • Posts: 2,737
Re: The RF 28-70 F2 is truly a very magical lens that is hard to describe with words

traderjay wrote:

noggin2k1 wrote:

I'm going to be "that person", but I can't see anything in these images that warrant the price tag.

I can forgive the first two images as they're low light/high ISO, but with the two outdoors images - nothing looks particularly in focus, and I'd go as far as saying the lens looks borderline faulty when reviewing the out of focus areas.

If everyone can find those subjective/non-quantifiable buzz words such as rendering, character, and 3D pop then brilliant - but I'd personally argue the opposite.

Maybe its caused by the compression? Which areas looks defective?

I'd say it's probably not compression related.

It's the final image where it's the clearest to me - I'd expect the boys face to be in focus (it isn't). His hat that I'd also expect to be in focus looks to have some quite bad fringing & low contrast. Looking at the ladies face behind him, it's not a nice smooth focus roll off that I'd expect.

It looks to me like a lens element is out somewhere and/or a low quality filter is being used.

Only sharing my opinion here - others may think the total opposite to me.

noggin2k1's gear list:noggin2k1's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 35mm F1.4L II USM Canon RF 50mm F1.2L USM Canon RF 15-35mm F2.8L IS USM +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow