B&W Camera Conversions...

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
WolfyWho
OP WolfyWho Contributing Member • Posts: 984
Re: B&W Camera Conversions...

TomFid wrote:

WolfyWho wrote:

Hi,

Who does the best B&W camera conversions? Is there anyone that does them with M43's bodies? If so, which bodies work best? Thanks in advance!

-Wolfy

Are you looking for an infrared or full spectrum conversion, or really to remove the color filter array to have a monochrome sensor?

For IR/full, Lifepixel, Kolari and maxmax come to mind as companies that have been doing it for a long time, and therefore ought to be pretty safe.

Removing the CFA is major surgery, with risk of sensor destruction. If you google it, there have certainly been successful attempts, including one by maxmax. It looks like they still do it: https://maxmax.com/maincamerapage/monochrome-cameras

At maxmax prices at least, it doesn't make sense to me - the premium is 1000 to 2000 dollars. For that you could simply shift up to a higher-resolution body, which is probably going to look about as good after interpolation as a lower-res mono sensor. There might be exceptions - dedicated UV or IR work, etc., but it's not something to casually do with your old GH2.

Thanks Tom. I appreciate your suggestions. I heard back from maxmax a little while ago. The closest thing they have to an m43 sensor is a Sony rx100iii.  I agree, they are a bit pricey.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow