Mirrorless rapidly reaching iteration phase vs evolution?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
topg Forum Member • Posts: 75
Re: Mirrorless rapidly reaching iteration phase vs evolution?

michaeladawson wrote:

Just saw this on Sony Rumors site regarding the next Sony A7 IV.

ILCE-7M4 uses the old sensor as a7 III.
The improvement of a7 IV: Bionz XR, better LCD screen, new body, new EVF, ISO 80 and 15+ stop DR, better High ISO, Faster AF performance, 14-bit 10FPS continuous shooting.

If true, no new sensor. All the improvements are with the supporting hardware, firmware, and body design. That's not a bad thing necessarily.

I don't know what supporting hardware Nikon put into the 2nd gen Z bodies. And I really don't know where Nikon really stands in terms of their firmware engineering department. But from a sensor capability perspective it looks like they're right up there with Sony and should be able to compete well if they put the necessary supporting hardware into the bodies and can keep up with firmware.

Quite a lot of that desirable functionality is wrapped up in the processor rather than the sensor - the Bionz XR (same as in the a7SIII). Nikon's Expeed 6 is from 2018 so we're due for some movement there. We're not really seeing any substantial extra benefits yet from the dual Expeed 6's in the Z6/7ii beyond buffer size and marginal speed improvements, I think we'll all be looking closely at whether Nikon can unlock some more goodness from them or if they just squandered development time that might have been better spent on the next gen Expeed instead. There are also the co-processors for all the other I/O but I haven't looked into any differences there.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow