Sony APS-C vs Full Frame

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
poipoipoi_2016 Contributing Member • Posts: 888
Re: Sony APS-C vs Full Frame

Traveler1995 wrote:

I am considering buying the Sony a6600 or a7iii and would like peoples opinions. I previously owned an a6300 but sold because of the no IBIS. I primarily shoot landscape photography and I've read several forums that a full-size sensor is not needed, although I would think it has an advantage. The cost difference between the two camera bodies is only $300 right now - and it appears the lens costs (with equivalent focal lengths) are right on top of each other with manufacturer's like Tamron and Sigma. I consider myself pretty well rounded in Lightroom for editing in post. Having the ability to print my photos large scale would be GREAT. If I can eventually have that ability, that would be the ultimate payoff for me. Below is the equipment I'm looking at.

Sony a6600 body - $1,400 USD

Sony a7iii body - $1,700 USD (can buy the kit lens 28-70 3.5-5.6 for an additional $200 - would be interested if anyone has feedback on this lens)

Tamron 17-70 F/2.8 for ASP-C (not yet released) - $800ish USD

Tamron 28-75 F/2.8 for FF - $800 USD

Tamron 17-28 F/2.8 for FF - $850 USD

With glass costs narrowing in from these manufacturers, is FF going to become more popular to the hobbyist? Finding those wide angle lenses to compete with the FF lenses seems to be difficult as well. May be worth noting that I do a fair amount of hiking when travelling as well, so I'm not that interested in crazy zoom capabilities. I understand size and weight are a factor here, but at the end of the day, the ultimate payoff would be large scale prints.

Greatly appreciate any feedback!

I'd get the 28-200 over the 28-75 myself, and went in on FF purely for the 24-105.

In practice, it's just more and heavier glass, though that in turn lets you have faster glass and play the fun and exciting games with DOF. So the prices will never get actually equal.

Both of the major APS-C systems have 16/1.4 (24/2) primes, but if you want to go wider or faster, you're stuck on FF.

/If you're willing to do FF, get an R3 instead.  43MP is *actually* that much better.

poipoipoi_2016's gear list:poipoipoi_2016's gear list
Sony RX100 V Sony a7R III Sony FE 16-35mm F2.8 Sony FE 24-105mm F4 Sony FE 24mm F1.4 GM +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow